In tropical Singapore, pests like ants, mosquitos as well as cockroaches are extremely common in virtually every household. While we've typically relied on store-bough pesticide sprays, more and more people have been turning to more natural solutions, in attempts to prevent the experience of any potential harmful effects from the use of strong chemicals that are typically used in store-bought pesticide sprays.
If you're currently on the hunt for more natural solutions that you can DIY at home, you've come to the right place! We've compiled a list of 4 DIY and natural solutions to get rid of household pests, which are perfect for those who aren't fans of the idea of chemicals being used in areas meant for sleeping, playing and eating, as well as those with pets and young children as this prevents them from accidentally ingesting the chemicals.
Ant Repellent Vinegar Spray
Ants are one of those pests that can be extremely frustrating to deal with. No matter how well you clean your home or ensure that there are no crumbs lying around, they always seem to pop up in some area of the house. To eliminate ants in your home, once and for all, all you need are two simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry: water and white vinegar! Ants detest the smell of vinegar and it also aids in destroying the scent trails that they use to get around.
What you'll need:
- Combine the white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Spray this solution in areas where you've spotted ants and wipe them down with a cloth. You'd probably want to repeat this process a couple of times throughout the day to maintain the efficacy of this solution.
However, do note that this solution is not safe for use on natural stone countertops (e.g. granite, marble, quartz). For these countertops, try using your regular spray cleaner instead. They'll still work at reducing the amount of ants in your home.
Cockroaches are one those pests that either make you shriek in horror or get goosebumps. They're one of those pests that can pop up easily, with one slip-up. Eliminating them is definitely a process and no easy feat, but with this homemade remedy, you'll be one step closer to ridding your home of any cockroaches. Just like the other solutions, you'll probably already have the ingredients for this remedy (i.e. baking soda, sugar) in your pantry!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup baking soda
- 2 lids or dishes (preferably old ones)
- Air-tight container (to keep the excess bait)
- In an air-tight container, mix the sugar and baking soda.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and place it on a lid or dish.
- Place another lid or dish next to the first one and fill it with some water.
- Refill the containers with more of this sugar-baking soda mixture as well as water, when dead roaches start appearing.
- Repeat this process until your home is completely cockroach free.
Baking soda is a multi-functional product that can be used for various purposes in your home, ranging from baking to getting rid of stains to eliminating pests. In this case, mixing some sugar with baking soda will help to attract the roaches, tempting them to consume the sugar-baking soda mixture. With the temptation of the water that's placed next to the bait, the cockroaches will then proceed to drink some water, resulting in a reaction between the water and the baking soda which will effectively kill them. Additionally, since cockroaches tend to feed on their dead peers, you'll also be able to eliminate the rest of their population.
Natural Mosquito Repellent Spray
Mosquitos are another common household pest that always seem to hang around our home, regardless of how hard we try to prevent them from breeding. As carriers of various diseases such as dengue, which has been on the rise in Singapore in the past couple of years, it's critical that we remain vigilant and wary of them! Repelling mosquitos is easy, and can be done with a couple of ingredients that are readily available in most households.
What you'll need:
- Measuring cups
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 30-40 drops of essential oil (e.g. rosemary, lavender, peppermint)
- In a spray bottle, thoroughly combine the apple cider vinegar and water.
- Then, add in the 30-40 drops of essential oil. Feel free to spray this solution on your body or around your home, but just remember to give the bottle a good shake before use!
For a more effective solution to repel mosquitos, pair this DIY natural mosquito repellent spray with LED Mosquito Killer Lamps!
Dust Mite Repellent Spray
Dust mites are pesky pests that live in your mattress and feed on the dead skin cells and hair that we shed and leave behind on our mattresses. Given that dust mines are responsible for a large portion of allergies and asthma, it's thus vital to eliminate them from our homes, or to at least reduce the size of their population to ease the suffering of those who are allergic to them. To do so, try making your own dust mite repellent spray, which only requires 2 ingredients!
What you'll need:
- Essential Oil — Clove or Eucalyptus or Lavender or Peppermint or Rosemary
- Spray bottle filled with water
- Simply mix a few drops of essential oil with your water and shake your spray bottle to combine thoroughly.
- Now that the mixture is thoroughly combined, simply mist your bed lightly with the spray and allow it to air dry.
For additional pest control, use a mixture of Basil and Lemongrass to repel dust mites, fleas and lice.